Monday, June 4, 2012

Spicy Honey Chicken

This is my first Monday of summer vacation and it is divine!  I feel like I have my life back again.  Teaching kindergarten is all consuming and I would often lay awake at night churning ideas in my head and thinking about what I was going to do the next day, week, month, year.  Seriously, I would lay awake thinking about what I should do differently next year.

But enough of that talk, it's SUMMER!!!!  It feels so good to be back to sharing with the blog world and to thank you all, I'll start by sharing a tasty recipe that I made for the first time last night.  We had some friends over last night so I doubled the recipe, that's why there's a crap load of chicken on this plate.  Oh and don't be like me and forget to rub oil on the raw chicken and then have to beg your husband to go spray the grill because you are scared for the safety of your hair.  Just remember the dang oil, ok?



Spicy Honey Chicken

Ingredients:
2lbs thighs and drumsticks
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Rub:
2 teaspoons granulated garlic (you can sub 1 teaspoon garlic powder here)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (I couldn't find didn't look for this so I substituted Cajun spices and lessened the salt in the recipe)

Glaze:
1/2 cup Honey
1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar


Directions:
Combine the rub spices in bowl and mix well.Use kitchen shears to trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat dry. Drizzle oil over chicken and rub in with your hands to lightly coat all the pieces. Then toss chicken with the spice rub to coat all sides well. Use your hands and get in there! Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.While chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave so it's not so thick. Add the vinegar and combine well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the honey glaze for later after the chicken has cooked to pour on right before serving. Take the rest and brush on chicken (both sides) in the final moments of grilling.


I'm gonna warn you that this can make a hot mess, literally. It's sugar, and it's gonna drip. But the smelly smoke is worth it for a minute or two. Just leave your grill on for a few minutes after the chicken is done to burn off any excess glaze. It's totally worth it once you taste this stuff.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin