Monday, February 23, 2009

Tangy Honey Glazed Ham

A few days ago I found out that Estevan and I will be hosting Easter dinner for the family this year. That night I couldn't sleep and kept thinking about what I was going to do because I have never cooked a full meal of this caliber before. At first I was thinking of just doing finger foods and cold sandwiches... but then it sank in that Easter really is all about the ham. What would we do without ham for the next week... no cold ham sandwiches, no ham and cheese omelets, no etc... no ham leftovers would be sacrilege. I have to make a ham!

I scoured all of my internet resources today for a homemade recipe for a delicious ho
ney glaze and came across this one at allrecipes.com I tweaked it a little to suit my slight dislike of cloves and love of cinnamon, I also decided to add sliced pineapple for the last half hour, continuing to glaze so that they get nice and carmelized. Plus, I love a very moist ham so I put tinfoil over the ham.

Tangy Honey Glazed Ham


Ingredients
1 10 pound fully-cooked, bone-in ham
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/3 large orange, juiced and zested

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place ham in a roasting pan with rack.

In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, orange juice, orange zest, Dijon mustard, ground cloves, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.

Bake ham in preheated oven covered with tin foil for 2 hours. Remove ham from oven, and brush with glaze. Bake for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, brushing ham with glaze every 10 minutes.
Glaze, glaze, glaze......... and glaze some more!

Ta-da! My very first ham... yum. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin