Sunday, April 21, 2013

Flowers in bloom

I'm very slowly getting back into gardening in our new house.  It's a big job and it often overwhelms me to think about where to start.  There are so many places where I can plant flowers that it's just too much to handle.  I seriously need to narrow my focus.  I snagged some $2 plants from Lowe's at the end of last season after we had finished up the hardscape around the pool.  So far, only 6 plants but it was a start.

This agapanthus is just beginning to flower.  I'm not really sure what all the plants will end up looking like because this is the only one with many small flowers; the others are sprouting tall buds.  I love how this plant resembles the allium plants that I adored in Lansing.

I am amazed that we built this hardscape ourselves.  We had all the stone already in the yard, we just moved it to this new location to help build up the backside of the pool decking.  It was a tough job but it was so worth the effort.  The company that we hired to lay sod asked us who we hired to do that job, they told us that their company would have charged us $3,000 to do all that.  Jackpot!

We have big plans for this area behind the water feature.  It's just weed infested mulch right now but soon we will have small palms and bird of paradise flowers.  Very tropical!  Again, we had those stones lying around.  It took us about an hour of silent work time to figure out an arrangement and lay them all together.  Estevan and I work very well as a team, it's funny that we often don't even have to talk when we have one goal in mind.

We just need to figure out what to plant here.  We arranged  the stones and laid down mulch but so far, no plans.  It's fairly shaded back here and so far we only have some pink crepe myrtles and one ligustrum.  I'm thinking that we need a thicker layer of mulch to cut down on the amount of weeds popping through.  But at least we only spent $500 on mulch for both the front and back yards, labor included.  I'm sure that as the years go by it will continue to get thicker and more weed proof.

That's it for now!  Hopefully, there will be more to come soon. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin